- The territorial jurisdiction
The Branch Court is in the east of Taiwan, officially established ( originally named called Hualien temporary branch of the Taiwan High Court) on July 15, 1972, and exercises jurisdiction over all appeals and interlocutory appeals of civil and criminal cases from the district courts of Hualien and Taitung as well as the first instance cases belonging to the High Court's jurisdiction. The territorial jurisdiction of the Branch Court includes the Hualien and Taitung district courts. The Hualien District Court has jurisdictional area which covers the administrative the administrative regions of Hualien County including Hualien City, Feng-lin and Yu-li Towns, Kung-fu ,Jui-shui, Fu-li, Feng-bin, Hsing-cheng, Chi-an, Shou-feng, Wan-jong, Chuo-his, and Hsiu-lin Villages, 13 administrative regions in number, with an area of 4,638.6 square kilometers and a population of 348,729. The Taitung District Court has jurisdiction area which covers the administrative region of Taitung County including Taitung City, Cheng-kung and Kuan-shan Towns, Chang-bin, Tung-her, Liu-tao, Ta-wa, Tai-ma-li, Chih-shang, Lu-yeh, Bei-nan, Lang-yu, Ta-jen, Chin-feng, Hai-jei, and Yan-ping Villages, 16 administrative regions in number, with an area of 3,515.2 square kilometers and a population of 240,082. The two counties are rich in mountains, vast land, and the low density of population. People here live a simple life. The commerce and industry of the two counties are also underdeveloped. They are still classified as agricultural economics for the most part, and thus, the criminal rate is low.
- The subject-matter jurisdiction
- Appeals from judgments of the Hualien and Taitung District Courts as courts of the first instance in ordinary proceedings of civil and criminal cases.
- Interlocutory appeals from the Hualien and Taitung District Courts in ordinary proceedings.
- First instance criminal cases relating to rebellion, and offenses against friendly relation with foreign states.
- Military appellate cases whose judgment are imprisonment for a definite period rendered by the High Military Courts and their branches.
- Other cases prescribed by law.
- Release Date:2021-04-30